Before each away game, Pars Review looks at the venue we will be travelling to: its history, with rare photos showing changes to the opposition club's stadium over the years, and how it looks now. On Saturday we travel to Easter Road, one of the best known Scottish football stadiums, and one which has gone through massive changes over the past few decades.
Between their formation in 1875 and 1893, Hibs played at 4 other venues in Edinburgh, before moving to their current site at Easter Road in 1893. The photo above shows Easter Road in the 1950s. The huge East Terrace was typical of the massive embankments at stadiums such as Hampden and Ibrox at the time. Around the same time as this photo was taken, Hibs had their all time highest home attendance of 65,860, with Hearts the visiting team, on January 2, 1950. An aerial view of the stadium is seen here:
The North Terrace (home end) had a roof installed in 1960, then in 1975 the huge East Terrace was reduced in size, bringing the stadium capacity down to 30,000. The next 4 photos show the stadium in the around 1980, with the covered East Terrace, the North (home) Terrace, the old main stand, and the uncovered South (away) Terrace.
In 1982 the North Terrace had benches installed (see photo below).
In 1985 the East Terrace was replaced by a similar sized stand (see photo below), which remained until 2010.
A further 10 years passed until the stadium underwent any new changes, and in 1995 work began on making Easter Road resemble the modern stadium that exists today. With a much reduced capacity of 13,500, the stadium would be enlarged and modernised, beginning with the installation of bucket seats in the East Stand to replace the ageing bench seats. Even more significantly, the North and South terraces were removed and stands were built in their place, as seen here:
The construction of the new stands behind each goal is seen in the next photos:
The completed North Stand can be seen below, with the old (West) main stand to the left and the East Stand to the right.
In 2001, the West (main) stand, which had stood since 1893, was demolished:
The new West Stand construction and finalised structure can be seen here:
The final part of the new, modern Easter Road was the construction of a new East Stand. This began in March 2010 with the demolition of the existing East Stand:
In August 2010 the new and much larger East Stand was opened:
The stadium the Pars will play at on Saturday is unrecognisable from the ground that the Famous Five played in back in the 1950s. Hibs' greatest attacking line-up - Gordon Smith, Willie Ormond, Bobby Johnstone, Eddie Turnbull and Lawrie Reilly - played in front of over double the number of supporters who can now fill Easter Road. However, the present-day 20,400 capacity stadium is one of the best in Scotland and offers one of the best unrestricted views of any stadium in Scotland from any seat. Easter Road has not forgotten its legends, however, with the home (North) stand now renamed as The Famous Five Stand.
The final photo in this feature shows the view from the East Stand.