Before each away game, Pars Review looks at the venue we will be travelling to: its history, with rare photos showing changes to the opposition club's stadium over the years, and how it looks now. On Saturday we travel to the Palmerston Park, home of Queen Of The South.
Palmerston has been Queens' home since they were formed, in 1919. The ground is located in an area of Dumfries that was once a farm, named Palmers Toun.
The photo below was taken before Queens' first ever game in August 1919 and shows the original main stand at Pamerston.
Like many grounds at the time, the main stand was the only seated area and the remainder of the ground was uncovered open terracing.
An enclosure was built on the east side of the ground in 1934 and can be seen in the photo below, in 1952 (with the year the enclosure was built commemorated on a sign on its roof).
As years went on, the enclosure started to show its age. The photo below, taken in the 1960s, shows graffiti and a decline setting in.
The next photo shows the enclosure shortly before it was demolished. The 1934 roof sign was long gone and replaced by advertising painted on the roof.
In 1995 the enslosure was knocked down and a new stand built in its place, named the East Stand (see photo below). It is currently sponsored and is known as the Rosefield Salvage Stand. It has more seats (2192) than the main stand (1185). Home and away fans are seated in this stand.
In 1965, the main stand burned down and was replaced with what is still the club's main stand today.
The main stand is sponsored and is currently named the Gates Power Stand (see photo below).
The area behind both goals at Palmerston has always been terracing. Portland Drive terrace, which houses home fans, was covered in the late 1950s. It is characterised by a large clock that is positioned in the centre of the terrace roof. The terrace is typical of many Scottish football grounds from past years, but with many clubs either moving to new purpose built stadiums, or replacing terracing with stands, the Portland Drive terrace is now the largest all-covered terrace in Scottish football with a capacity of 3345. It is currently sponsored and is known the Oakbank Services Terrace.
Floodlights were installed at Palmerston in 1958 and at 85 feet high are the tallest free-standing floodlights in Scottish football. Two of the floodlights are seen in the photo above, of the Portland Drive terrace.
Palmerston's other terrace is Terregles Street (see photo below), which holds away fans. It was closed for a number of years but was re-opened in 2014 after work was done to upgrade the terracing.
A 5G artificial pitch was laid for the start of the 2013/14 season. Palmerston's capacity is currently 8690, of which 3377 are seated.
The final photo shows an aerial view of the stadium, with its 2 terraces and 2 stands.